Skip to main content

Day 3 : Adios Manila...

WAGI, DAWN and Miriam College

Today was an exceptionally fabulous day of mining for contacts. Yes, I said mining, akin to excavating for gold! Super highlights in the day are as follows:-

Tesa De Vila  

I met Tesa in 2010 as a participant of a wonderful programme - Kartini Sephis - Feminist Action Research Programme. It was an unusual experience which lay teh foundation for the proposal I submitted for the API Fellowship 2012 - 2013. The idea germinated at this wonderful workshop which was intense and very rewarding. I met Tesa for a wonderful lunch and she spoke at length about the women's movement and her experiences being involved. She is as busy as ever, teaching, actively involved in NGO work and raising a beautiful child who is 9. She has this wisdom that grounds me, helps me develop a better perspective of work, life and scholarship. 

'Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love'

She mentioned the quote above by Mother Theresa who was a reformist and believer of miracles. Tesa often adds when she says this to her students - 'all those small things lead to a REVOLUTION!'. Well, she is an activist after all.  I felt a great sense of calmness and hope hearing her words. She spoke about the need to empower, describe and also be hopeful. She kindly said she could arrange a presentation with her department, the International Politics and Peace Studies Department when I returned. I felt greatly encouraged, she still was guiding and helping another woman discover scholarship. 


We talked about some possible theories which could be used such as the Self Agency Theory by Naila Kabeer and The Grounded Theory often used by Saskia Wierenge who is also another great model. I spoke about how women coming together, empathizing and connecting also helps raise consciousness. The symbiotic relationship women develop as a result of interacting and supporting each. I know what it is, I feel it but intellectualizing is impossible. I want to be able to do this with great dedication to integrity and honesty.


Miriam College





One of the most memorable things about Miriam College is the how much eco-feminism is practiced. Here is a sign reminding students to dispose their pads responsibly and recycled newspapers are supplied! Redolent with a cheerful picture image of the steps...Yes, it could be an educational experience learning how institution look at sanitary pads disposal methods and implement green practices.



WAGI - Women and Gender Institute 

Anyone in the vicinity of Katipunan and the universities district please drop by this amazing resource. They have an extensive resource centre and allow you to browse and photocopy parts of the material which you require. They also have a yearly publication which has valuable work by feminists called Quilted Sightings (more information  - http://www.mc.edu.ph/News/tabid/194/tag/WAGI/Default.aspx). Again, the discipline of writing and publishing are alive and thriving in these wonderful institution. This is also a manner which women scholars can be nurtured and developed. Something which is much needed in Malaysian institutions.

DAWN - Gigi Francisco

I had the privilege of meeting Gigi Francisco of DAWN, I had to meet her. Her activism is legendary especially in speaking about the global south. She writes critical eloquence and provides analysis of issues of global consequence. Many of her works and words are contained here - http://www.dawnnet.org/. DAWN is located in Miriam College, Manila. Gigi spent most of her time trying to identify and provide me contacts whom I could work with. She was actually on her way to Bangkok for some work but she was kind enough to provide me some really good contacts I could follow up with. I got quite a substantial list from her. 

Meeting Jo Villaneuva  

Jo is a researcher who wrote a substantial report on oil palm expansion in teh Philippines. I came across her work initial when I contacted Sawit Watch who sent me her work. It is substantial because she tried to cover all the important developments of oil palm plantations in Philippines. a copy of this report can be obtained here - (http://www.forestpeoples.org/sites/fpp/files/publication/2011/11/chapter-4-oil-palm-expansion-philippines.pdf). It was from this report that I got the idea to select Sultan Kudrat as a suitable research site. Some of the plantations she mentions are AUGMILL and Kenram in her report. She kindly agreed to meet me and provide me with some concrete ideas I could use for my work. She was very generous with her contacts and provided me with clearer picture of what I could expect on the field. As advised by Gigi, she also told me to work with the farmer's cooperative there as well as some reliable NGOs contacts. At this point, I discussed at length about a suitable location for my site. Taucurong City seemed a better and safer option with more resources available. 

Women in plantations 

Women in plantations here generally a lesser in number compared to the men, however this is yet to be studied in detail. There were some who did mostly general work but some were also hired as harvesters. There is also an indication that women have started actively using oil palm fronds to produce building materials. It has apparently become a thriving small scale business here. 

Migrants from post-conflict areas have also relocated to this area and taken advantage of the booming palm oil prices. It is now seen as a lucrative industry. Originally, Sultan Kudrat was a rice growing province but palm oil is slowly taking over because it is far more lucrative.

I also need to analyze the types of ownership of land, related to oil palm cultivation. There are industry sized plantations, farmers' corporatives contracting out land to oil palm companies and small holders who cultivate oil palm and sell it to oil mills. It is necessary to clarify the ownership of land which is used for the cultivation of oil palm. 

Ownership of land is primarily for male heads of household. This needs to be verified with the local councils. There has been a change in governance policies but access for women and guarantee of results are still nowhere in sight. There may be difficulties in identifying suitabel women as access may be limited. Women have clearly defined gendered roles in these community based on cultural practices.

I will have to work with the following:-
a) RDISK - Rural Development Initiative (RDISK)
b) KARBEMPCO - Kenram Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Multi-Purpose 
    Corporation
c) AFFRIM - Alternative Forum For Research in Mindanao, Inc. 
d) FFP - Forest Peoples Programme
e) City Agriculture Office - Tacurong City

Safety concerns

I have been advised by well wishers to stay away from public bus terminals and not to speak to anyone. I was also today strangely that I looked local which completely baffled me. I plan to investigate this. There is an Indian community in Tacurong city who are mostly informal sources of micro-credit loans.  


I also was told to be up front and transparent with local authorities and explain my purpose of being there. Malaysians' activities in Mindanao still raise a lot of suspicion.

I was also was told that the safest option to travel to Sultan Kudarat is to travel from General Santos to Tacurong. One could take public utility vans which take forever to reach Tacurong. Buses are not encouraged even from Davao. I need to explore and verify this information. Once I get to Tacurong, I stop at Jollibee a local fast food joint and get a tricycle. I have reservations in Beldent Hotel for Php 850 for one night and will move to Edjin Hotel for Php 650 for the next 3 nights. I plan to get accommodations where I can cook which will save my sanity. 

Method mania


I have already started sourcing out for translators. I insisted this person should be a woman. It is part of the method that women are the producers of knowledge and in control of information. I also need to get access to these women and connect with them.


Living matters

I have been told the cost of living is very reasonable in Tacurong. Food is plentiful and many options, I am looking forward to this. I am praying for a comfortable and safe home.

 Research Materials

I found some excellent material which I found utilize for my research. Here is the list:-

a) "Nakatikim ka na ba ng Kinse Anyos?" The Philippines Experience of 
    Patriarchy  


b) Political Violence as Moral Exclusion: Linking Peace Psychology to Feminist 
    Critical Theory

c) So Khaki Becomes You? 
  • Chapter 7 - Rosie the Riveter - Women in Defence Industries 
  • Chapter 8 - Feminism and Militarism
d)  Gender GAP Audit Toolkit For Social Investigation; Josefa S. Francisco
  • Section 1
  • Checklist - Community Care System
  • Checklist - Community Political System
  • Guides - Socio - Cultural Audit
  • Section 3 - Community Profiles
 



 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Mentor

Background I had a wonderful opportunity to attend a useful workshop organized by the Malaysian Institute of Management (MIM) in collaboration with Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS). The workshop was entitled 'Women Mentoring Development Programme' was attended by over 40 women from various fields: civil society, small and medium level entrepreneurs, training and education.  The training was conducted in English by two master trainers who have had experience in mentoring women entrepreneurs. They presented a comprehensive workshop structure which included personal mastery, skills mastery and process mastery. We started with discovering our basic personality attributes to understand our prominent characteristics. We were introduced to a local developed personality assessment tool the LEONARD Personality Inventory. It was quite interesting to discover one's strength and shortcomings based on the analysis.  I am going to highlight some of the elements of the worksh

A Library for Kampung Tering

Murni Bte Liga of Kampung Tering, an idyllic village in the outskirts of Kuala Pilah, has a burning desire. She is passionate about improving access to quality education for her community. She has often raised her concerns about quality education for Orang Asli children in meetings with authorities or civil society organizations. One of the issues that she finds problematic is the high attrition among Orang Asli children at primary and secondary school levels. In order to address the issue at her village, she decided to set up a functioning library which could be used by the children. Women from the village organizing the reading material for the library She noted the interest of mothers' in the village who want their children to improve their English language skills. She expressed her interest in running workshops on a monthly basis for her community. The workshops would focus on improving the language skills of the children who participate.  Essay writing activities